The King´s palace
is a royal palace which was built around 1250. The first preserved letter
from this palace was written in 1268. The palace is the oldest and best
preserved profane (not belonging to the church) brick building in Sweden.
The house had two floors with rooms for the royal family, halls for representation
and a chapel. There were no stairs inside, only on the outside.
On the first of May 1346 the king Magnus Eriksson and his
queen Blanche wrote their will in the city of Lodose.The king and the
queen donated the palace to the building of Birgitta´s abbey. In 1384
the abbey was consecrated and the King´s palace became a part of the nunnery.
The palace was changed a lot, among other things the height of the roof
The nuns lived in the palace until 1595. In the seventeenth
century the palace was changed into a soldiers?home, where war veterans
could live. During a period in the nineteenth century the building was
used as a prison and then a mental hospital called Birgitta´s hospital
In the 1950´s the hospital got new localities and the King´s
palace was restored. Today the building belongs to the Abbey hotel. The
tourist department in Vadstena arranges guided tours.